Pimples, wrinkles, age spots, sun damage: these are just a slew of the skin woes we have to worry about as we approach our 20s, 30s, and beyond. Do you want clearer, softer, suppler skin that almost glows? Try these five tips for beautiful, better skin.
1. Pop pimples, but only sometimes — You may have heard that you can never pop pimples, but the alternative—going through your day with a glaring whitehead—is almost unbearable. If you gotta pop though, avoid doing extra harm to your face. The whitehead should be practically bursting; otherwise, hands off. Avoid using fingers to pop and try Q-tips instead.
2. Take supplements — These days, there are endless creams and serums to erase pimples, age spots, wrinkles, and the works. However, pretty skin starts from within. Experts recommend you load up on flaxseed oil, fish oil, vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium supplements. Of course, you can also get these nutrients and vitamins as part of a healthy diet.
3. Reconsider your diet — Speaking of your diet, certain foods can exacerbate irritated skin. Try to reduce consumption of alcohol, coffee, and dairy, namely milk. Too much sugar also does the skin no favors.
4. Never forget the sunscreen — Whether you’re leaving the house for 10 minutes to run errands, you’re taking a long walk, or you’re out all day at the beach, you need to use sunscreen. It also doesn’t matter if it’s overcast. Just because you can’t see the sun doesn’t mean it’s not behind the clouds.
5. Know how to bust stress — Stress is an unavoidable part of life, that’s for sure. However, too much stress can ruin your skin. It all has to do with cortisol, which is triggered when you stress out too much and can lead to greasy skin and pimples. Whether you take a nap, meditate, write in a journal, take a walk, enjoy an intense workout, or read a book, do what works for you to keep stress levels manageable.
Next time you think you need the latest expensive beauty creams for pretty skin, remember these tips. They’re useful even if you’re on-the-go, so no matter where your life takes you, you can still feel beautiful.